TeamQuest Predictor helps optimize IT by delivering advanced predictive analytics in two ways: Traditional Capacity Panning - predicting optimal IT configurations for the future and Automated Predictive Analytics - continuously predicting future application health.
Automated Predictive Analytics
- TeamQuest Predictor’s automated predictive capability saves you time. It’s called "TeamQuest Risk Prediction" and it runs automatically.
- Notifies you well in advance of problems, delivering the information you need to avoid and prevent bottlenecks.
- Tells you where to focus your money and attention, and when, to keep applications running smoothly.
- Regularly analyzes hundreds of applications and thousands of servers in your datacenter.
- Works in highly dynamic virtualized environments.
- Provides advanced analytics for comprehensive application, service and system health monitoring.
Traditional Capacity Planning
- Helps you find cost-effective configurations that maximize business productivity.
- Allows you to accurately provision systems to avoid costly and time-consuming performance bottlenecks.
- Finds optimal configurations for new application rollouts, by ensuring production systems will handle new workloads at minimal cost.
- Provides unbiased, vendor-neutral guidance, showing what you really need as opposed to what your vendor says you need.
- Reduces or eliminates over-provisioning, by identifying the least expensive way to accommodate service level requirements.
- Aids virtualization & server consolidation decisions, helping find the most cost-effective combination and configuration of resources.
How it works
TeamQuest Predictor takes the rocket science out of predictive analytics, putting the speed and accuracy of a powerful analytic queuing network solver into the hands of everyday systems administrators and capacity managers.
TeamQuest Predictor can be used either for Traditional Capacity Planning, or as a predictive monitoring and analysis tool via its Automated Capacity Analytics capabilities.
Traditional Capacity Planning
When used for traditional capacity planning, the tool uses baseline measurements and configuration information from the distributed TeamQuest CMIS to calculate an accurate starting-point or "baseline" analytic model. The results of that baseline model can oftentimes reveal problems with existing configurations, showing which infrastructure components are responsible for the largest portion of response time.
TeamQuest Predictor Architecture Diagram
After a baseline model has been calculated, the user can make changes to the hardware/software configuration being modeled and TeamQuest Predictor will reveal how the changes will affect performance. TeamQuest Predictor can also determine how applications will perform if workloads increase, even helping to identify which infrastructure components will become bottlenecked first, and when.
Using TeamQuest Predictor with Tivoli Monitoring
How TeamQuest Predictor Works with IBM's Tivoli Monitoring
TeamQuest Surveyor is adept at working with a wide variety of data sources and Tivoli Monitoring is one of them. To facilitate capacity planning for organizations using Tivoli Monitoring, TeamQuest Surveyor can be used to fetch the data needed by TeamQuest Predictor for calculating its baseline models.
Automated Capacity Analytics
TeamQuest Predictor can provide a automated version of the predictive technology that drives it’s powerful capacity planning tool. To provide this automation TeamQuest Predictor uses TeamQuest CMIS to calculate predictions on the fly. You get near real-time calculations of service health, see TeamQuest Performance Indicator. You can even get predictions of future service health, see TeamQuest Risk Prediction.
TeamQuest Predictor adds Risk Prediction and TPI calculation to the TeamQuest CMIS
TeamQuest Performance Indicator
The TeamQuest Performance Indicator (TPI) is a single, easy-to-understand, but sophisticated metric reflecting overall application or system health. It’s yet another tool for optimizing capacity and minimizing risk.
TPI is more accurate than other summary KPIs, because it is based on an advanced analytic queuing network solver. TPI is a single 0 to 100 metric that facilitates at-a-glance application and system health reporting using tools such as TeamQuest Analyzer and TeamQuest Surveyor.
Automated TPI calculations are added to TeamQuest CMIS by TeamQuest Predictor, and because TeamQuest CMIS can supply data to TeamQuest Analyzer and TeamQuest Surveyor, all these tools are effectively enhanced when you get TeamQuest Predictor.
TeamQuest Predictor's automated TPI calculations can be calculated in near real time and stored by TeamQuest CMIS to be picked up by TeamQuest Analyzer and TeamQuest Surveyor for health analysis and reporting. Also available together with the TPI calculations are components-of-response time estimates that make it easier to determine where exactly bottlenecks are occurring.
TeamQuest Risk Prediction
TeamQuest Risk Prediction provides automated, forward-looking predictive analysis of all your IT services. It can alert you in advance of trouble, providing a specific and focused warning so that you can avoid disaster. It tells were to focus your attention to avoid predicted problems.
For more information, see our dedicated TeamQuest Risk Prediction page.
Why its better
TeamQuest Predictor understands non-linear behavior, with powerful, proven technology based on queuing network theory.
This diagram shows the non-linear effects of increasing loads on response time
TeamQuest Predictor is:
- Automatic - predicting service health (TPI) and components of response across hundreds of applications and thousands of servers (see our TeamQuest Risk Prediction page.)
- Proactive - telling you BEFORE you have a problem.
- Accurate - typically within 95%, via an easy-to-use analytic queuing network solver.
- Simple - making sophisticated capacity planning easy, by automating all of the complicated math for you.
- Comprehensive - Understanding the details that affect capacity, such as multi-threaded environments & partitioning configuration options.
- Enables automated predictive analytics in TeamQuest CMIS via Predictor’s TeamQuest Risk Prediction capability.
- Adds sophisticated automated application health and system health calculations (TPI) to TeamQuest CMIS.
- Allows you to experiment with what-if scenarios to find the best configuration for handling forecasted workloads. Predicts how infrastructure will perform if workloads change.
- Predicts response time from different components in a multi-tiered environment, allowing you to pinpoint the component responsible for a bottleneck.
- Determines the effects of changes to I/O devices, network bandwidth, and size or number of CPUs.
- Forecasts the number of virtual systems your physical hosts will be able handle.
- Determines best candidates for virtualization projects. Allows you to consolidate and/or virtualize servers with confidence. Helps you find the optimal configuration for hypervisors.
- Predicts the performance impact of migrating from one operating system/hardware platform to another.
- Ensures selected configurations will satisfy service levels while meeting cost and power consumption limitations.
- Helps identify underutilized resources so they can be redeployed for other services.
TeamQuest Predictor predicts the performance and capacity of these platforms:
- Operating Systems
- AIX (including WPARs)
- Solaris (including Zones)
- Virtual Environments
- Amazon EC2
- IBM PowerVM
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Oracle VM Server for SPARC
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (KVM)
- VMware vSphere (ESX/ESXi)
- Processor Architectures
TeamQuest Predictor can calculate its baseline models using data from:
- TeamQuest CMIS
- IBM Tivoli Monitoring