December 8, 2010
In listening to eBay's Mazen Rawashdeh and Gartner's Dave Cappuccio in their Gartner Data Center Conference session discussing how eBay solved their infrastructure and data center challenges, a few things stood out to me:
- A linear relationship between capacity and cost is not a sustainable IT Operations model. If you cannot look at historical data, understand your current capacity status, and be able to plan for future capacity investments, you will have a tough time keeping your costs at a reasonable rate while providing adequate capacity to support all of the services you provide to the business.
- Metrics drive behavior. Think about it...accountability cannot happen without measurement.
- If you are unable to innovate and keep up with the changes around you, you will fail. This is not only good business but also a valuable life lesson.
- Start with the why, not the what. Help your teams understand WHY they are doing what they are doing.
- People, process, and tools are the foundation for driving change, efficiency, and ultimately generating revenue.
So, what's your plan to break the linear correlation between capacity and cost?